My First Granola Recipe
The first time I made granola, I found myself researching for an easy cooking method and just what ingredients should be included in the granola. There were many recipes I found so I gathered from all of them what I liked, merged cooking methods. Next I wrote my own recipe that I believed would work well. With that recipe I created my very “first homemade granola”.
Merging at least 12 recipes into my own creation.
Since that first baking of this granola, I’ve made this about once a month and I do experiment with ingredients based on what’s on hand at the time.
Why you should make granola yourself
After I made my first batch of granola I realized that I had greatly over spent for years on boxed granola. You can’t beat the fresher flavor of homemade granola!
You are the boss when it comes to cooking! You know your tastebuds best!
Experiment!! I love creating in the kitchen which is playtime for me!
The best part of making your own is it’s exactly to your taste with the fruits and nuts you love best! And did I mention that the house smells amazing too? Play with this recipe too as far as what you love best in your granola. If you love more fruit or nuts….add more to taste.
Super Easy Healthy Granola
Total baking time 60 – 65 minutes
In a large bowl mix together the following:
- 5 cups rolled oats (not quick cooking)
- 1 cup shelled Sunflower seeds or shelled pumpkin seeds
- ½ cup wheat germ
- ½ cup flax seeds
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup honey or maple syrup
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla
- 1 Tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt or sea salt
- Spread on 2 cookie sheets either lightly oil sheets or use parchment paper.
- Bake 20 minutes
- Stir in 2 cups of almond slivers.
- Bake another 20 minutes.
- Stir again.
- Raise oven to 300 degrees for the final 20-25 minutes.
In a large bowl mix together:
- 1 cup raisins or dried cranberries
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 3/4 cup dried mango, apricot, pineapple or papaya into bite sized pieces
- After baking oat mixture, scoop the granola off the sheet pans into a large bowl with the dried fruits.
- Mix well and cool thoroughly.
- Store in airtight containers up to 3 weeks.
- Serve with milk, over ice cream, with yogurt or however you love to eat your granola.